Source: RTA Outdoor Living
(click on infographic to enlarge)
It’s the dog days of summer. That means we are eating lots of ice cream and milkshakes, with the latter being a safer way to consume this favorite summertime treat, as the high temperatures make a dipped cone a bit messy.
Before we explore the importance of limited-time offerings (LTOs) and eye-catching packaging, here’s what you all have been waiting for: the most popular milkshake flavor in your state.
RTA Outdoor Living, a custom prefabricated outdoor kitchens and cooking appliances supplier, investigated Google Trends data over the past 12 months for the most popular milkshake flavors in order to determine the top flavor in every U.S. state. The full results can be explored HERE.
Chocolate and vanilla lovers might be a little shocked when they see that the strawberry milkshake was the most popular milkshake across the country. The creamy blend of strawberries and ice cream was the number one milkshake in 10 U.S. states, while chocolate reigned in eight states. The Oreo milkshake was the third most popular, with six states naming it as their superior flavor. Another shake that broke the top five was the Shamrock Shake. The infamous green milkshake is a minty flavor that typically comes out once a year to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Maybe it’s the short timeframe and the feeling of needing to get it while you can that makes this shake so popular.
That’s a perfect lead into LTOs. Limited-time offerings, often centered around flavors of a season, create an urgency to purchase because the product may not be available the next time you shop. Sometimes they are simply bizarre flavors that a marketer creates to draw attention to the brand. Whatever the reasoning behind the LTO, the package must get the consumer’s attention. It has to scream to them “TRY ME!”
DesignRush, a B2B marketplace that connects businesses with design agencies, recently published “10 Best Ice Cream Packaging Designs with Delicious Presentations.” You can view the entire report HERE.
- Bombastix Sundae Cone ice cream is double vanilla cream with gooey fudge and chocolate-covered waffle cone chunks.
- Butterscotch Popcorn ice cream is sun-popped popcorn ice cream with a butterscotch crunch.
- Golden Nectar ice cream is golden sweet cream that tastes like a chilled summer chai (minus the tea) with firecracker-like snaps of aerated toffee candy.
- Watermelon Taffy ice cream is uber creamy with the taste of tart candied watermelon.
- Dairy-free Lemon Bar has a lemon, shortbread crust, and rich coconut cream.